**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
In this week’s episode, I speak with the courageous Emily Hoerm who has survived multiple suicide attempts with her first attempt at the age of only eight years old.
Emily shares her resiliency and perspective in this conversation and sheds light into the why behind her attempts and what she’s doing to transform her life and mindset.
Listen in as we talk about:
- Life events that led to Emily’s suicide attempts
- The coping mechanisms Emily has learned from inpatient and outpatient therapy
- How Emily has worked to shift her perspective and focus on her future goals
- How Emily’s loved ones have supported her mental health journey
- Emily’s detailed safety plan
- Read about a mother’s journey after her son’s suicide: https://www.amazon.com/DIARY-BROKEN-MIND-Mothers-Haunting/dp/0998788163
- Read a touching novel about suicidality, grief, loss and healing: https://www.amazon.com/Brownstone-1-Julie-Brown/dp/109836547X/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=The+Brownstone&qid=1624729349&s=books&sr=1-5
- For other books on suicide, grief and loss, visit Susan’s website resource page: https://susanecasey.com/resources/
Youth Hotlines: Do you need help working something out? Do you want to talk to someone who understands, like another teen?
USA Youth Resources:
- Text “TEEN” to 839863. Peer counselors are available from 6:00pm to 9:00pm PST
- CALL (310) 855-HOPE / (310) 855-4673 or (800) TLC-TEEN / (800) 852-8336 toll-free in the United States and Canada. Open from 6pm to 10pm PST every night
- USA: 1-800-273-8255
- USA Crisis Text:741-741
- Canada: 1-833-456-4566
- United Kingdom: 116 123
- Australia: 13 11 14
- International suicide hotlines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines
Connect with Emily here:
Connect with Susan