**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
In this week’s episode, I speak with Ryan Cullen, who tried to take his own life while he was in College.
Thankfully Ryan survived his attempt and shares his empowering story about living with depression in secrecy from a young age, the vulnerability around releasing the shame he felt, and so much more.
Today, Ryan owns his own company at just 25 years old. He is a true inspiration, and I am so grateful to have you tune in to this episode.
Listen in as we talk about:
- How Ryan lived with depression secretly
- His battle with depression and the circumstances that made him want to take his own life
- The healing that took place for him to be where he is now
- His coping techniques
- Where he is now and how he became the CEO of his own company at only 25 years old
- Read about a mother’s journey after her son’s suicide: https://www.amazon.com/DIARY-BROKEN-MIND-Mothers-Haunting/dp/0998788163
- Read a touching novel about suicidality, grief, loss and healing: https://www.amazon.com/Brownstone-1-Julie-Brown/dp/109836547X/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=The+Brownstone&qid=1624729349&s=books&sr=1-5
- For other books on suicide, grief and loss, visit Susan’s website resource page: https://susanecasey.com/resources/
Youth Hotlines: Do you need help working something out? Do you want to talk to someone who understands, like another teen?
USA Youth Resources:
- Text “TEEN” to 839863. Peer counselors are available from 6:00pm to 9:00pm PST
- CALL (310) 855-HOPE / (310) 855-4673 or (800) TLC-TEEN / (800) 852-8336 toll-free in the United States and Canada. Open from 6pm to 10pm PST every night
- USA: 1-800-273-8255
- USA Crisis Text:741-741
- Canada: 1-833-456-4566
- United Kingdom: 116 123
- Australia: 13 11 14
- International suicide hotlines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines
Connect with Ryan here:
Connect with Susan