**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
In this week’s episode, I speak with Dean Joys, who is 20 years old, from Los Angeles, California about his sexual assault.
Dean is such a bright light and courageously shares his story about how he was drugged and sexually assaulted by someone he knew.
He has spent much time healing from this trauma and is powerfully sharing his story here with you.
Listen in as we talk about:
- How Dean was drugged and sexually assaulted by someone he knew
- How the police failed to help him
- The moment he was able to process the trauma he experienced
- How his parents reacted and the way they supported him
- His tips for healing
- How advice for those who are in the midst of suffering
- Read the Be Strong Be Wise Series by therapist and author Amy Carpenter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HCHN9YF?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_0&storeType=ebooks
- For other books on suicide, grief and loss, visit Susan’s website resource page: https://susanecasey.com/resources/
- The nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization: https://www.rainn.org
- Call 800.656.HOPE (4673) to be connected with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area.
- When you call 800.656.HOPE (4673), you’ll be routed to a local RAINN affiliate organization based on the first six digits of your phone number. Cell phone callers have the option to enter the ZIP code of their current location to more accurately locate the nearest sexual assault service provider.
Do you need help working something out? Do you want to talk to someone who understands, like another teen?
- USA Youth Resources:
- Text “TEEN” to 839863. Peer counselors are available from 6:00pm to 9:00pm PST
- CALL (310) 855-HOPE / (310) 855-4673 or (800) TLC-TEEN / (800) 852-8336 toll-free in the United States and Canada. Open from 6pm to 10pm PST every night
- USA: 1-800-273-8255
- USA Crisis Text:741-741
- Canada: 1-833-456-4566
- United Kingdom: 116 123
- Australia: 13 11 14
- International suicide hotlines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines
Connect with Dean here:
Connect with Susan