**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
In this week’s episode, I sit down with William Hornby, who is at the forefront of raising awareness for men with eating disorders with his advocacy on TikTok and Instagram Reels.
He is also a recording artist! (His debut single, “Clay”, is out on all platforms!)
He passionately advocates for body neutrality and self acceptance.
He currently holds a BBA in Business Management from Temple University and expects to earn his BFA in Musical Theater in Spring 2022. He was trained in classical voice at the prestigious Baltimore School for the Arts. He loves hiking, listening to NPR, carving pumpkins, and organizing zoom parties.
Listen in as we talk about:
- Why eating disorders are a mental health issue
- How to treat an eating disorder at its source
- What is fat phobia and how does it relate to body dysmorphia
- How to transform the conversation we have with ourselves around fat phobia
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Food Psych Podcast with Christy Harrison
- Anti-Diet by Christy Harrison
- Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole, MS, RDN, and Elyse Resch, MS, RDN
- Maintenance Phase Podcast
- What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Fat by Aubrey Gordon
- Fat and Queer: An Anthology of Queer & Trans Bodies & Lives
- Belly of the Beast: The Politics of Anti-Fatness as Anti-Blackness by Da’Shaun L. Harrison
- Check out the pre-save link for William’s song
National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA): https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
- Toll-Free Phone Number: 1-800-931-2237
- Helpline phone hours are Monday-Thursday 11AM-9PM ET & Friday 11AM-5PM ET.
- Helpline chat hours are Monday-Thursday 9AM-9PM ET & Friday 9AM-5PM ET.
- Helpline text pilot hours are Monday-Thursday 3PM-6PM ET.
- For 24/7 crisis support, text ‘NEDA’ to 74174
Additional resources for Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder:
Note: Not all those who suffer from Bulimia, purge. To get rid of calories and prevent weight gain, people with bulimia may misuse laxatives or weight-loss supplements, diuretics or enemas after bingeing. Or, people will try other things such as fasting, strict dieting or excessive exercise.
Connect with William here:
Connect with Susan