**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
In this week’s episode, I sit down with Laura Morris, our bonus episode to close out our self-harm series.
Laura is a mom to a soon to be 13-year-old, and survivor of many mental health illnesses, including self-harm, suicide and disordered eating.
Laura shares about her cult-like religious upbringing after being given up for adoption. She takes us through her journey, which started at the tender age of five.
Listen in as we talk about:
- How her cult-like religious upbringing sparked disassociation with her body
- Her 10 year long battle with an eating disorder
- How her desire to feel heard and understood spiraled into suicide attempts and continued self-harm
- The birth of her daughter at 19 and the moment she felt a sense of self worth
- How she used her pain and transformed it into hope, built a business, and created a life she loves
Connect with Laura here:
Connect with Susan