**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
In this very first episode of the New Year, we start out our January series with Beckie Scott, who is 24 and lives outside of London, England.
She shared her story with us about domestic and psychological violence at the young age of 18 after she met her ex-boyfriend.
As you’ll hear in the episode, the abuse Beckie suffered from her ex-boyfriend impacted her and her family in such profound and tragic ways from stealing money and items from her and her family to being verbally and physically abusive.
Though Beckie’s story is heartbreaking, she escaped from her abuser and is now living her life authentically while raising awareness around domestic abuse and helping survivors.
Listen in as we talk about:
- How Beckie’s ex-boyfriend’s upbringing and lifestyle may have contributed to his abusive tendencies
- How Beckie’s ex-boyfriend showered her with gifts, and how there were no red flags in the beginning
- How he started stealing money from her without her knowing and used it to gamble
- How the switch flipped and Beckie suddenly became the victim of abuse
- When Beckie started to become suicidal and how she navigated through to the other side
- How Beckie got out of this relationship, his sentencing and jail time, and how she has rebuilt her life since
National Domestic Violence Hotline:
Connect with Beckie:
Connect with Susan