**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
In this episode, I sit down with Kristen Barnes, who is an advocate for grief and loss awareness, after the passing of her sister Tyler by accidental overdose.
Tyler was 20 when she passed away, and Kristen was only 15.
Kristen shares about the heartbreak surrounding her sister’s death, how she’s had to rediscover who she is without her sister, and the changing family dynamic after her mom’s suicide attempt.
Listen in as we talk about:
- How Kristen’s sister, Tyler, was molested at a young age and the psychological impact it had on her.
- The 12-year court battle with Tyler’s father after finding out he had been molesting her.
- Tyler’s secret drug use as she got older, and the impact her abusive boyfriend had on her.
- Tyler’s accidental overdose with pills laced with fentanyl, and how she died 7 days after this event.
- The changing dynamics in Kristen’s life and having to care for her mother.
- The tricky dynamic of sibling loss vs. child loss.
- The mental health struggles Kristen faces every day and relearning who she is now that her sister is gone
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Connect with Kristen here:
Connect with Susan