In this episode, I sit down with Jill McLennen to talk about death and grief through the perspective of a death doula.
Jill is a Certified Death Doula which is a non-medical person trained to care for someone holistically at the end of life. She offers support, preparation, and soul-level healing to her clients in person and virtually through her work as a death doula and end-of-life coach.
In addition to being a death doula, Jill is a trauma-sensitive yoga instructor, and she also uses reiki and shamanic healing techniques to help her clients heal their fears around death and dying as well as work with their grief.
**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
Listen in as we talk about:
- [3:05] Becoming her grandmother’s death doula unexpectedly
- [12:35] Helping her grandma through her transition from life to death
- [25:25] Creating death rituals alongside families
- [31:10] How the payment and energy exchange works with death doulas
- [35:30] How to find a death doula
- [38:15] How to become a death doula
- [45:20] What self love looks like for Jill
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Rock On: Mining for Joy in the Deep River of Sibling Grief by Susan E. Casey
Connect with Jill here:
Connect with Susan