In this episode, Nancy Owen Nelson joins me for a conversation about healing through the loss of soulmate love.
Nancy Owen Nelson was born into a military family. After her father’s retirement, the family settled in Alabama, where Nelson attended high school and earned her master’s and PhD degrees in English.
Nelson has published two memoirs and two books of poetry, with a third one due out in December 2022. Her writing most often encompasses her exploration of family roots in the South, and the legacy she carries.
As an adult, Nelson discovered the impacts of the constantly fluctuating life in a military family. She married numerous times, and finally found her true life partner, Roger, with whom she enjoyed almost 25 years. His passing in 2021 began her on the path to understand and move through her grief and loss.
**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
Listen in as we talk about:
- [1:20] The impact of losing her father at a young age
- [5:10] Feeling the burden of caring for her mother
- [8:10] Marrying numerous times and ultimately finding the love of her life, with whom she shared 25 years, and his passing in 2021
- [12:05] What life has looked like after losing her husband
- [15:40] How her beliefs about death have changed since this loss
- [22:00] The process of writing her book
- [24:10] How to welcome joy back into your life after loss
- [43:40] What self love looks like for Nancy today
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Rock On: Mining for Joy in the Deep River of Sibling Grief by Susan E. Casey
- Author page at Ardent Writers Press http://ardentwriterpress.com/ardent-writer-authors/nancy-owen-nelson/
Connect with Nancy here:
Connect with Susan