What does ‘leaning into grief’ mean, and how do we do it?
In this episode, you will learn so much from Dr. Mekel Harris, who is a clinical psychologist, as she shares what it was like to experience deep and painful grief without knowing how to navigate it on her own.
Dr. Mekel Harris, Ph.D., NCSP, PMH-C, CAGCS is a licensed clinical psychologist who offers training, consultation, and supervision services to organizations around the world. Further, she holds an advanced certification in grief counseling and has presented at over 30 domestic and international conferences, focused on pediatric, family, and community health issues, including grief and loss throughout the past 10 years.
She is a TEDx speaker, FOX13 Memphis mental health expert, blogger, magazine and podcast contributor, author, and course creator. In her spare time, she enjoys writing, traveling around the globe, and spending time with family, friends, and her feisty Beagle.
**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
Listen in as we talk about:
- [2:20] How the loss of her mother changed the trajectory of her life
- [12:05] The relationship between grief and sleep
- [15:00] What Dr. Mekel would do when she couldn’t sleep
- [17:20] Beginning to write her book
- [20:10] What it means to ‘lean into’ grief
- [24:00] What ‘leaning into pain’ did for Dr. Mekel
- [27:20] Having physical manifestations of grief within her body
- [32:30] Being unfamiliar with asking for help
- [46:45] Writing through grief
- [49:10] What self love looks like for Dr. Mekel today
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Rock On: Mining for Joy in the Deep River of Sibling Grief by Susan E. Casey
- Grief Anatomy Toolkit: https://harris-psychological-services-llc.mykajabi.com/grief-anatomy-toolkit
Connect with Dr. Mekel here:
Connect with Susan