Welcome to LEAP, where we sit down with people from all walks of life to hear their unique stories and perspectives on grief.
In this episode, I’m joined by Amy Daughters, a freelance writer and debut author, and her dear friend Dana Dugas Rivera.
Their story is one of reconnection in the wake of heartache through letter writing. After reconnecting on Facebook after 30 years, Amy was inspired to begin writing weekly letters to Dana and her son Parker, who was battling cancer. When Parker passed away, Amy continued to write Dana, and the two became unlikely pen pals.
Their friendship and the power of letter writing had a profound impact on Amy’s life, leading her to write letters to all of her Facebook friends. Through this experience, she learned the true value of connecting with individuals behind the social media profiles and how love and friendship can transcend politics, beliefs, and lifestyle.
Amy and Dana’s story is one of inspiration and the power of human connection. So, join us as we sit down with Amy and Dana to hear more about their incredible journey.
**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
Listen in as we talk about:
- [0:30] Who Amy and Dana are
- [3:20] The power of connecting through social media
- [7:25] Why Amy decided to write letters to Dana
- [13:00] How Dana felt receiving these letters after her son died
- [21:20] When and why Amy decided to get a prayer team together for Dana
- [25:50] Writing about our grief
- [31:50] Finally meeting in real life after years of exchanging letters
- [35:45] A reading from Amy’s book, Dear Dana
- [43:30] Why Amy decided to write to all of her Facebook friends
- [52:40] How both of their lives changed from the experience
- [55:20] Taking this partnership and friendship to the next level
- [60:00] What self-love means to Dana and Amy
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Rock On: Mining for Joy in the Deep River of Sibling Grief by Susan E. Casey
- Book: https://www.amazon.com/Dear-Dana-Facebook-friends-handwritten/dp/1647429005/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1667847040&sr=8-1
Connect with Amy and Dana here:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/smokinhotamys/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/DaughtersAmy
- Website: https://www.amydaughters.com/
Connect with Susan